Re: [sensors] Dependency on [DOM] due to inheriting from EventTarget

From: Rick Waldron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 18:11:36 +0000
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
> Purely out of curiosity, what do you think would be an appropriate
interface for delivering/consuming high frequency data?

Based on my experience with JavaScript programs (running in node.js on
 a variety of platforms) that either read sysfs GPIO directly or via
some compiled native bindings, delivering an indication of value
change or value read by emitting an event has been both extremely
efficient. It's also very intuitive for those writing the programs.

> Composability is not a good argument. Any of these things is just as
 composable as the other when you add enough methods.

Agreed.

> "sensors are pull data but users might like push data interfaces
more"?

This is actually my exact experience with anyone that's ever used
JavaScript to interact with sensory hardware.

> EventTarget is a horrible interface.

Yes, ideally a standardized `EventEmitter` or similar would be
preferable.

--
GitHub Notif of comment by rwaldron
See https://github.com/w3c/sensors/issues/21#issuecomment-108037449