Trying to understand the Promise usage in the battery API

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 13:27:08 -0400
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
I was asked to review a patch to Gecko to align our implementation of
the battery API to http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/CR-battery-status-20141209/
and I'm not sure I understand the intent of the Promise usage in that
specification.

The Promise just returns a manager object; this doesn't particularly
need to be an async operation (though it can be one, of course).  But
all the operations for querying the actual hardware state are then
synchronous, and _those_ are what I would expect one might want to do
asynchronously.

I looked through the list archives, but can't seem to find the rationale
for the current design; if there is one there, I would appreciate a
pointer to it.

Thanks,
Boris