W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-device-apis@w3.org > January 2015

Draft minutes from today's teleconference 2015-01-22

From: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:29:06 -0500
To: W3C Device APIs WG <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Message-Id: <5B9ED9C4-74D8-4299-80E1-F6461608D62E@fjhirsch.com>
Attached are draft minutes from today's DAP teleconference. I scribed. Please send any corrections to the public list.

Our next call is scheduled in two weeks, 5 Feb, see http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Chair, DAP WG
w3c @ fjhirsch.com

@fjhirsch


[![W3C][1]][2]

# Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

## 22 Jan 2015

See also: [IRC log][3]

## Attendees

Present

    Frederick_Hirsch, Anssi_Kostiainen, Edna_Morales, Andrey_Logvinov,
Giri_Mandyam

Regrets

    Tobie_Langel, Mats_Wichmann, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux

Chair

    Frederick_Hirsch

Scribe

    fjh

## Contents

  * [Topics][4]

    1. [Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements][5]

    2. [Minutes approval][6]

    3. [Vibration API][7]

    4. [Audio Output Devices API (Media Capture TF)][8]

    5. [Wake Lock API][9]

    6. [Generic Sensor API][10]

    7. [HTML Media Capture][11]

    8. [Implementation updates? Battery, Proximity][12]

    9. [Other Business][13]

    10. [Adjourn][14]

  * [Summary of Action Items][15]

* * *

<trackbot> Date: 22 January 2015

<scribe> Agenda: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0023.html][16]

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

### Welcome, scribe selection, agenda review, announcements

DAP Charter extended to 31 Dec 2015: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public
/public-device-apis/2014Dec/0019.html][17]

Trust & Permissions Community Group started:
[http://www.w3.org/community/trustperms/][18]

Change of affiliation [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0021.html][19]

my email is now w3c @ fjhirsch.com

fjh: welcome to Edna who joined the groupworking on Apache Cordova alignment

edna_morales: working on Apache Cordova alignment

fjh: thanks to Lisa for her work and thanks for you joining

anssik: the Cordova work has been helpful, looking forward to you coordinating
this effort

### Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 11 December 2014

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Dec/att-0009/minutes-2014-12-11.html][20]

**RESOLUTION: Minutes from 11 December 2014 are approved**

### Vibration API

PR review period completed (20 Jan 2015), next step is REC.

fjh: transition request has been made

anssik: thanks for helping with publication

fjh: thanks for the quick editing and resolving the potential issues cleanly

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to check on process for publishing REC, does group
need to prepare snapshot [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-
minutes.html#action01][21]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-726 - Check on process for publishing rec, does
group need to prepare snapshot [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2015-01-29].

fjh: I believe the team handles this entirely, but will confirm

### Audio Output Devices API (Media Capture TF)

Please respond to CfC to publish FPWD

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0020.html][22]

fjh: assume there are no concerns

gmandyam: discussed at TPAC, no issues at this point

... needs to be way of targeting different capture devices when multiple are
attached, thus more applicable to PC not handset

### Wake Lock API

CfC to publish FPWD completed: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2015Jan/0022.html][23]

Open CfC for WD publication: [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-
device-apis/2015Jan/0014.html][24]

fjh: we have agreed to publish FPWD but waiting to agree on WD publication
method for doing so

... this should use automation and forms to simplify WD publication, reducing
team and editor work and allowing more frequent WD updates

... will try with one spec first, since this is new and we need to see how
well it works

... my understanding is that not every ED becomes a WD, rather the editor
initiates the process when ready

… so in some sense not that different from current practice

anssi: are other groups using this

fjh: webapps has agreed to try with one spec, but this is new

anssi: want to try once ready

fjh: please comment on list if any concerns with spec

### Generic Sensor API

Reviewed in November, see [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Nov/0018.html][25]

Dom followed up by creating Repo, Tobie populated with initial proposal from
Rick.

<anssik> [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0029.html][26] -> Tobie's status update re Generic Sensor API

fjh: asked about status, Tobie responded on list, discussion is happening on
git, he will send a summary

... status of Tim and Boris joining DAP

<scribe> **ACTION:** anssik to contact Tim and Boris re joining DAP [recorded
in [http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action02][27]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-727 - Contact tim and boris re joining dap [on Anssi
Kostiainen - due 2015-01-29].

anssi: both are at Google, already a member

gmandyam: shouldn’t git discussion be on WG public list, not on github issues
list

fjh: agree, general discussion should be on public list

gmandyam: how to get transferred over to list

fjh: it would be better on the public list, will respond to Tobie also mention
it to Dom

anssik: discussed this with team, not concern with that team member

... however concerned about forking discussion

fjh: we can handle this in a social manner, should happen naturally as this
comes together

... we want to be inclusive of the entire DAP WG membership, not have subset
of group make decisions independently

gmandyam: do not want to revisit issues later by having clear procedures up
front

<scribe> **ACTION:** fjh to discuss github issue process with Dom [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action03][28]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-728 - Discuss github issue process with dom [on
Frederick Hirsch - due 2015-01-29].

fjh: it is great that Tobie notified us of the status and offered to create a
summary, that should be very helpful

### HTML Media Capture

Proposed resolution re test case issue resolution: not change draft text,
update manual test instructions and results. See:

test status - [https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0005.html][29] ( Zhiqiang )

responses to removing MUST:

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0007.html][30] (Chaals)

[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0010.html][31] (Nick)

proposed action, update test case to clarify manual steps in testing , see
[https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0012.html][32] (Anssi)

fjh: is this your understanding as well, that we make no change to spec, and
update test case to clarify manual tests

anssik: yes

… lots of manual tests elsewhere

… will ask owner to update test information, and will also update tests and
produce results

<scribe> **ACTION:** zhiqiang to update test case to clarify manual testing
and to run tests and update results related to ACTION-723 [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action04][33]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-729 - Update test case to clarify manual testing and
to run tests and update results related to action-723 [on Zhiqiang Zhang - due
2015-01-29].

fjh: anssi can you please talk with Zhiqiang and discuss this action with him

anssik: yes

### Implementation updates? Battery, Proximity

fjh: any new implementation work

anssik: expect generic sensor api work to influence proximity, so should not
try to advance this

… battery - are in good shape

fjh: only have one implementation

anssik: have chrome, mozilla implementation being updated

… should get more info through mozilla update

<anssik> [https://bugzil.la/1047119][34] -> Mozilla's Bug 1047119 - Update
Battery Status API to match the latest spec

anssik: this now has an owner, which should be positive, however not clear on
the timeline

… marcos is test coordinator, not sure he is available, need to check tests on
this

… can ask Zhiqiang to see if can help

<scribe> **ACTION:** anssik to ask Zhiqiang to update the Battery test suite
to match latest Battery Spec (coordinating with marcos) [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action05][35]]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-730 - Ask zhiqiang to update the battery test suite
to match latest battery spec (coordinating with marcos) [on Anssi Kostiainen -
due 2015-01-29].

fjh: it would be good to complete battery, perhaps before mid year, but we do
not have control or visibility into Mozilla schedule

### Other Business

fjh: an update on Cordova would be helpful to the group, perhaps by email

edna_morales: I can check into this with Lisa

Next call will be 5 Feb

### Adjourn

fjh: thanks all and Happy New Year

## Summary of Action Items

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** anssik to ask Zhiqiang to update the Battery test suite
to match latest Battery Spec (coordinating with marcos) [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action05][35]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** anssik to contact Tim and Boris re joining DAP [recorded
in [http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action02][27]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to check on process for publishing REC, does group
need to prepare snapshot [recorded in [http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-
minutes.html#action01][21]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** fjh to discuss github issue process with Dom [recorded
in [http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action03][28]]

**[NEW]** **ACTION:** zhiqiang to update test case to clarify manual testing
and to run tests and update results related to ACTION-723 [recorded in
[http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action04][33]]


[End of minutes]

* * *

Minutes formatted by David Booth's [scribe.perl][36] version 1.135 ([CVS
log][37])

$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $

   [1]: http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c_home

   [2]: http://www.w3.org/

   [3]: http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-irc

   [4]: #agenda

   [5]: #item01

   [6]: #item02

   [7]: #item03

   [8]: #item04

   [9]: #item05

   [10]: #item06

   [11]: #item07

   [12]: #item08

   [13]: #item09

   [14]: #item10

   [15]: #ActionSummary

   [16]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0023.html

   [17]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Dec/0019.html

   [18]: http://www.w3.org/community/trustperms/

   [19]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0021.html

   [20]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Dec/att-0009/minutes-2014-12-11.html

   [21]: http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action01

   [22]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0020.html

   [23]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0022.html

   [24]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0014.html

   [25]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2014Nov/0018.html

   [26]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0029.html

   [27]: http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action02

   [28]: http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action03

   [29]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0005.html

   [30]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0007.html

   [31]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0010.html

   [32]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-
apis/2015Jan/0012.html

   [33]: http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action04

   [34]: https://bugzil.la/1047119

   [35]: http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-dap-minutes.html#action05

   [36]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

   [37]: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/



Received on Thursday, 22 January 2015 17:29:36 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 23 October 2017 14:54:04 UTC