RE: DAP-ACTION-730: Ask zhiqiang to update the battery test suite to match latest battery spec (coordinating with marcos)

[skipped]

> Here are my updated test results with Chrome 40.0.2214.111 (64-bit) on OS X.

Nice test results update, thanks.

> I suspect at least some of the failed tests in battery-interface-idlharness.html
> and battery-interface.html are related to the fact Chrome is not fully WebIDL
> spec conformant yet, see: http://crbug.com/43394
>
> Zhiqiang - are you able to track the root cause of these failures? I'd guess
> many tests that use idlharness.js would suffer from the same failures, if this
> is (partially) related to bug 43394 as I suspect without diving deep.

Absolutely. There is also a description of Web IDL in Blink at

http://www.chromium.org/blink/webidl

... which lists some of the issues. I will check them deeply.

> * [FAIL] battery-plugging-in-manual.html
>
> 3 Pass, 1 Fail
>
> - 1 test fails with the message: assert_equals: The value of the
> dischargingTime attribute must be set to Infinity. expected Infinity but got
> 10380
>
> This seem to be a bug in the implementation, that is in conflict with the
> following assertion in the CR spec:
>
> [[
>
> The dischargingTime attribute must be set to the value positive Infinity, if the
> battery is charging
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/CR-battery-status-20141209/#widl-
> BatteryManager-dischargingTime
>
> ]]
>
> Zhiqiang - correct? If my hunch is correct, we should file a bug against the
> implementation and find someone to fix it.

Yes, you are right. Since I have no OS X environment, please help file the bug, thanks.

> * [PASS] battery-promise.html

I added a new test to this test file to check that getBattery() always return the same promise at

https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1623

... please help review it, thanks.

> Related to test suite itself, I only have minor editorial nit:
>
> * s/navigator.battery/BatteryManager/g to update the descriptions of some
> of the tests.

Updated the tests' descriptions at

https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/1644

... please review it too.

> A reasonable plan forward might be to:
>
> * investigate the reasons for test failures on known implementations
> * address the assumed implementation bugs
> * assess the impact on the spec progress: a precondition to exit CR would be
> to get two implementations, for example, if the Chrome bugs
> (http://crbug.com/43394, others?) are fixed, and Mozilla updates its
> implementation (https://bugzil.la/1047119)

Good plan. Let's move forward together.

Thanks,