Re: [discovery] Network Service Discovery: current status

On 09 Sep 2014, at 13:25, Rich Tibbett <richt@opera.com> wrote:
> Furthermore, I think there's a lot of undefined magic going on in the
> current Presentation API draft. Will all browsers support the same
> second screen technologies?

JCD: No, they will not, from what is currently discussed.
But what is important is that they will all allow a web page to use at least one type of second screen.

> Giving developers higher-level communication controls would mean none
> of the provided examples in the NSD specification could be used:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/Overview.html#examples.

JCD: Your examples are written in such a low-level way -as code as opposed to as a user story- that yes, they do not apply to a higher level API.
But as a user story, such scenarios can be done with a high-level API.

> In summary there is an implicit loss of freedom in defining and
> exposing higher-level APIs where lower-level APIs not only exist but
> also happen to be a better network communication abstraction point.

JCD: “Better” is a subjective word. Few people seem to agree with your version of “better”.
I happen to almost agree with you, but we are a minority.
People care more about security than freedom in this circle (not a judgment!).

> With higher-level APIs you will not be able to build web apps to e.g.
> obtain networked media library contents or allow remote control of
> devices to e.g. change channels or adjust volume or interactively view
> with the contents of your fridge or control your home thermostat or
> lighting.

JCD: I disagree with you here.

It is possible to define a higher level API which hides URLs and IPs from the web page, and manage the communication with the service and the system can still do everything you describe above.
We have such a system.
Best regards
JC
--
Jean-Claude DUFOURD
Directeur d’études / Multimedia Group / Telecom ParisTech