[html-media-capture] Save to the file system update: review - testing and new Last Call?

All

Earlier Anssi updated the HTML Media Capture specification to add a normative requirement (see full details in mail below)

> [[
>
> When the capture attribute is specified, the user agent MUST NOT save the captured media to any data storage, local or remote.
>
> NOTE
>
> When scripts gain access to the files selected from the file picker (represented by a FileList object), they can use various mechanisms to store the captured media. These mechanisms are out of scope for this specification.
>
> ]]

Is this a testable requirement and do we have a test case for it? How will we test this with implementations given that storage may not be obvious?

Although the concern related to privacy is real, should this be left to implementations rather than added as a requirement to the specification?

If we decide to retain this change, it might make sense to see if we can complete the tests for it and then return to Last Call for review since it is a normative change.

Please share thoughts on this to the list, especially regarding the testing. I expect the next step will be a CfC to return to Last Call from CR.

Thanks

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Chair DAP