Re: [light] CfC to remove LightLevelEvent from Ambient Light API (implies LC return); deadline 30 May 2014.

On 27 May 2014, at 11:00, Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2014, at 18:57, Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a Call for Consensus to update the Ambient Light specification [1] by removing the LightLevelEvent entirely.
>
> +1
>
> This will allow us to align the spec with the implementations and pass the interop.

As a further data point to support this, I’d like to point out that Media Queries Level 4 defines the “light-level” media feature (dim | normal | washed) [1] which nicely maps to the LightLevelEvent.

This means you can do this in CSS:

@media (light-level: washed) {
/* Styles for an exceptionally bright environment go here. */
}

And in JavaScript:

<script>
if (window.matchMedia(“(light-level: dim)").matches) {
  console.log(‘The device is used in a dim environment.’);
}
</script>

This media feature nicely complements the DeviceLightEvent which provides more granularity, but overlaps with the LightLevelEvent which we plan to drop from the Ambient Light Events spec.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/mediaqueries4/#light-level