Re: Standby API Specification Proposal

Hi Dom, All,

On 05 Feb 2014, at 12:52, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:

[...]

> * To justify the cost of going through this, we would want to get some
> clear interest from others, in particular browser vendors, that they do
> want to implement such an API.

There’s now (re)emerging interest in experimenting with such an API in Chrome the browser (not Chrome Apps):

> * Firefox OS ships an API with similar goals, navigator.requestWakeLock:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Navigator.requestWakeLock
>
> * likewise, Chrome Apps have a requestKeepAwake API available to them:
> https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/power.html

It seems neither of the above experimental APIs seem to address the Chrome's requirements, so yet another API may get implemented.

> So there are clear precedents in this space, and maybe this thread can
> serve to gather confirmations that browser vendors would be interested
> on this; I'll try to gather feedback on this in other avenues, and
> hopefully you could as well try and get such feedback.

Dom - I think there’s now sufficient interest for this feature to justify moving this into a W3C working group soon. This is a small addition considering the overhead of rechartering a group, but OTOH it would be pity to leave this feature stranded due to that.