Re: Malicious Use of the HTML5 Vibrate API

I added a comment there as well. I think in Chrome for Android we now have
a pretty solid set of constraints on this API. It's basically about page
visibility. This expresses itself in many easy to use and natural ways.

Vibration will stop when the user:
* Navigates away
* Reloads the page
* Switches to a different tab
* Closes the tab
* Sends the browser to background
* Turns the screen off

It should also not start at all if vibration is turned off for the phone as
a whole i.e. it's on silent.

There are also limits to how long the device will vibrate.

Try it out here: http://jsbin.com/UKamoNID/1

Also, if the user doesn't like the page, he can close it and not go there
again. It is the most basic way of user control in a browser, and proven to
be quite effective. If it turns out that this feature really does get
abused a lot, like browser popups did, then we'll have more data. This
would give better insight into how to counter the abuse without degrading
the user experience for valid usage.

Let's not cripple new APIs too much before we have seen real abuse. I think
info bars, permission dialogs, etc are quite invasive. Such measures scare
developers away from using the feature, they're afraid to ask the user for
permission in case the user gets scared or annoyed by it.

Regards,

Michael