RE: DAP-ISSUE-166: Should getBattery() always return the same promise?

> From: ext Kostiainen, Anssi [mailto:anssi.kostiainen@intel.com]
>
> On 08 Aug 2014, at 16:12, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 8 Aug 2014, at 19:47, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:
> >> I see no downsides in doing this, thus I suggest we change to the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> [[
> >>
> >> * Let /promise/ be a newly created Promise and return it.
> >>
> >> ]]
> >>
> >> Into:
> >>
> >> [[
> >>
> >> * If there is an initialized-but-unresolved Promise object returned
> >> by getBattery(), let /promise/ be that Promise object.
> >> * Otherwise, let /promise/ be a newly created Promise.
> >> * Return /promise/.
> >>
> >> ]]
> >>
> >> For the contest, please see:
> >>
> >> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/default/battery/Overview.html#the
> >> -navigator-interface
> >>
> >> All - please report any bugs in the algorithm, and let us know if you
> >> have any concerns with this change. I'll land this change later if I
> >> hear no concerns.
> >
> > Why not simply returning the same Promise all the time instead of only
> > returning un-resolved promises?
>
> Good point, and makes sense. I s/initialized-but-unresolved/initialized/
> above and landed the change:
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/rev/27d83813c582
>
> Please review and let us know if you find any other bugs.

[[If there is an initialized Promise object returned by getBattery(), ...]

should be

[[If there is an initialized Promise object returned on a previous invocation of getBattery(), ...]] or something to that effect.

Also, does the promise need to be associated with the browsing context? If so, maybe we can just re-use the language of step 4?

Finally, the last three steps should only be necessary if a new Promise was created. A simple fix would be to add "Return /promise/." at the end of the first step. (The alternative would be to make the last three steps conditional on a new promise being created, but that makes it a bit more clumsy.)

- Cathy.