Re: [discovery] DAP-ISSUE-131 Support UPnP device discovery by Device Type? (was RE: [discovery] Adding CORS to NSD API - proposal and issues)

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Igarashi, Tatsuya <
Tatsuya.Igarashi@jp.sony.com> wrote:

> Hi Youenn and Cathy,
>
> Cathy described what I want to say. I would add the two issues if
> searching UPnP device is not supported by NSD at all.
>
> (1) Multiple popup dialog per UPnP service type.
> Searching both A and B of UPnP service types of X UPnP device will cause
> two popup dialog for user agreement by the promise of getNetworkService()
> method. Practically, most UPnP application would like to control a whole
> function of UPnP device. For example, controlling volume and playback
> requires to control both UPnP Rendering control and UPnP AV Transport
> services, two pop-up dialogs per UPnP service type would confuse consumers
> even if a web application unifies the two UPnP services in a UPnP device
> and show the list of UPnP devices for user selection.

I don't think this is the case, as how permission is asked is not mandated
by the spec and the UA may request only once per device, regardless of the
number of service searches you do (maybe by showing which services will be
exposed)

As I pointed out in the other thread, there is another issue though: if I'm
only interested in service A when is inside device X, why should I search
for all services of type A that will generate confusing requests to the
user for devices that are not really related to the type of content my
application may be able to handle?

/g