Re: [discovery] Adding CORS to NSD API - proposal and issues

Le 4/10/13 13:17 , Giuseppe Pascale a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Jean-Claude Dufourd
> <jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr
> <mailto:jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr>> wrote:
>
>     JCD: If NSD requires modifications to SSDP, it will work with 0
>     devices at the beginning.
>

> But if implementers refuse to implement NSD spec as is, we will never
> be able to discover ANY type of device.
> So regardless of people preferences, we need to be pragmatic.
JCD: I am very pragmatic: I have an implementation of NSD that works
without being implemented in browsers.
But you do not seem to be pragmatic: if you implement NSD in Opera and
it works with 0 devices, who is going to use it ?

There are multiple contradicting constraints here, but you are caught in
them just like I am.

> As discussed in the other thread, we need to go for a default
> implementation that is strict even though this means not supporting
> legacy devices. We can imagine UA to hide behind a user setting the
> ability to expose also legacy devices, but that would be a second step.
>
> Of course use of NSD API in context where security is guaranteed in
> some other way (app stores?) could be not restricted in the same way,
>
>     This is a sure way to have a standard that will not be used.
>

> I don't see how a standard that browser implementers refuse to
> implement is ever going to be useful.
JCD: I do not see how a standard that works with no devices is ever
going to be useful.
Best regards
JC

--