Re: CfC: Shelve Web Intents, Web Intents Addendum, Pick Media Intent, Pick Contacts Intent, respond by 17 May (next Friday) (resend)

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 07:35:06 -0400
To: public-web-intents@w3.org
CC: public-webapps@w3.org, public-device-apis@w3.org
On 5/8/13 4:00 PM, ext Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com wrote:
> This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to shelve the Web Intents, Web Intents Addendum, Pick Media Intent, and Pick Contacts Intent specifications (4 specs).
>
> Shelving in this case means that we are not sure the specifications will advance along the lines the drafts indicate. As a result we want to be clear to everyone that we may not advance the specifications or that we may change the approach.  This does not mean that we have decided not to advance them, just that there is a question as to the direction and/or progression at this point.

My general comment is the Consortium's way to state work on a document
has ended is to publish a WG Note [WGNote]. So although I agree it is
important to clarify the status of Web Intents, it's not clear to me
that inventing new process ("shelving") is a good approach and it
certainly fails the "HeartBeat" publication requirement [Heartbeat].

It appears to me Web Intents has not changed in seven months
[Changelog]. Is there any credible plan including commitment(s) to
continue the work? If so, where is that info?

Based on the data I have seen so far, it seems like the appropriate next
step for Web Intents is to publish it as a WG Note. (I am indifferent
about the other specs mentioned above.)

(At some future point in time, if there is consensus to do so and the
necessary resources are identified, the spec could continue along the TR
track).

-AB

[WGNote] <http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#q75>
[Heartbeat]