Re: [discovery-api] Supporting UPnP devices

Jean-Claude Dufourd wrote:
> I have currently a full implementation of the current spec.
>
> The only problem I have is the "name" field, which I implement in a
> non-standard way so that it works in my usage scenarios.
>
> On one hand, this proposal is well designed, and on the other hand, it
> is definitely overkill to solve the only problem I have with the current
> spec.
>
> So no, I am not in favor of this rather extensive change.
> Best regards
> JC

I certainly feel this pain (having to rewrite both the spec and an
impl). It is the price that is paid for living on the bleeding edge of
emerging standards. (Also, kudos to you for getting an implementation up
and running. Would love to hear more about it on this list! We _really_
need to kick-start some serious testing discussion now that multiple
implementations are starting to emerge).

Unfortunately, I think spec changes are an occupational hazard of
implementing from W3C Editor's Drafts which are, by their very
definition, unstable and subject to changes. _If_ we have good reasons
to make a change to s specification then it would be better to do that
earlier (i.e. now) than ignore potentially valid and beneficial use
cases in the long run.

My suggestion is that we snapshot and publish the current specification
and you can then claim compliance* to this permanent, dated Working
Draft version of the specification.

- Rich

* 'compliance' only in the sense that the implementation has been
written in good faith to reflect the specification - not that it has
passed any (currently non-existant but ultimately necessary) compliance
test suite.