Re: [vibration] Clarifying introduction

From: Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 07:09:19 +0000
To: "Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com" <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>
CC: "<public-device-apis@w3.org>" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi Frederick,

On Jun 4, 2013, at 10:26 PM, Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com wrote:

> I'd propose adding a little more to the vibration introduction for clarity, as follows.
>
> After the existing text "The API is specifically designed to address use cases that require simple tactile feedback only. Use cases requiring more fine-grained control are out of scope for this specification."
>
> proposed edit is
>
> [[
>
> This API is not meant to be used as a generic notification mechanism.  Such use cases may be handled using the Web Notifications [notifications] specification. In addition, determining whether vibration is appropriate due to "silent mode" or other reasons is up to the calling application or notification mechanism and out of scope for this specification.
>
> ]]

Thanks for the proposal. I slightly amended your proposal and updated the spec. Here's the updated introduction:

[[

Introduction

This section is non-normative.

The API is specifically designed to address use cases that require simple tactile feedback only. Use cases requiring more fine-grained control are out of scope for this specification. This API is not meant to be used as a generic notification mechanism. Such use cases may be handled using the Web Notifications [notifications] specification. In addition, determining whether vibration is enabled is out of scope for this specification.

]]

Please let know if you'd like to propose further edits to the introduction.

Thanks,