Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

16 Jan 2013


See also: IRC log


Frederick_Hirsch, Laszlo_Gombos, Josh_Soref, Diana_Cheng, Cathy_Chan, Rich_Tibbett, Anssi_Kostiainen, Niklas_Widell
Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Claes_Nilsson


<trackbot> Date: 16 January 2013

Agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

<gmandyam> Giri Mandyam from QuIC joining

draft Media Capture TF F2F agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2013Jan/0042.html

fjh: who is planning on attending
... Giri, Josh plan to attend

logistic http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2013Jan/0048.html

lgombos: also likely to attend

josh_soref: of course travis will attend

Minutes approval


RESOLUTION: Draft minutes from 9 January 2013 are approved.

Network Service Discovery


richt: I have missed some meetings due to scheduling conflict, have seen feedback on list, need to reply
... valid technical discussion, as well as scope change requests
... scope is interesting discussion, some want more UPnP support, some want to expand scope
... Opera has been talking to other browser vendors, would prefer to reduce scope, want to get other browser vendors on board
... nothing in spec has changed in 3 months, have implementation, plan to update draft
... more time to work on this from 1 Feb

fjh: is it possible for you to send email regarding scope earlier than Feb

richt: would rather work with other browsers to work on web like approach earlier, reduce to URLs

cathy: was planning to consolidate outstanding comments, but maybe not necessary with significant changes?

richt: will not make changes to spec until list discussion first

fjh: seems like consolidation of comments would still be helpful

richt: yes

cathy: ok, I will do this then

F2F planning

fjh: Propose change of date to May to enable hosting (e.g. during week of 12th, 19th May), since we are having hosting problems for the chosen date
... I am unable to host that date, neither is Diana, and Bryan indicated not being able to host in Redmond, and Seattle would be too expensive
... in addition if we change the date we might be able to do 3 days if we need to
... Diana is checking on hosting, I will ask Bryan to check for May, I have reserved 21-23 May in Burlington
... any objection to changing the date

niklas: which date will we use

fjh: not sure, will first get offers for hosting then have questionnaire

no objections

RESOLUTION: DAP F2F will NOT be 9-10 April, but in May depending on hosting availability

fjh: we also need to make sure to have a meaningful and productive agenda to justify a f2f. Two big things are to progress a new draft of Network Service Discovery and to progress WebIntents/Web Activities
... I believe we should be seeing more of WebIntents this month, hopefully a proposal

Network Information API


lgombos: agreeing with Bryan, please refer to email
... we should be clear that the spec already highlights that it is not necessarily metered, so we could simply change the name

fjh: let us take this to the list

nwidell: I agree, we need more use case discussion

fjh: can you please help with use cases?

<lgombos> my e-mail is partially a response to implementor feedback (from WebKit)

nwidell: limited on time, but will see what I can do, certainly can comment. We need to be sure to limit our scope

Proximity Events and Ambient Light Events LC

Ambient Light Events LC published 13 December 2012, http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-ambient-light-20121213/ ; LC ends 26 January.

LC comments https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-ambient-light-20121213/

Proximity Events LC published 6 December 2012. LC ends 24 January.

LC comments https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-proximity-20121206/

pointer to consolidated CSS document http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0013.html (Josh)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0021.html (proposed comment resolution)

fjh: review is happening in the PING, privacy interest group, that review ends 17th, should get feedback
... some of the discussion is how privacy requires a systemic view, which I've been saying - but we will see what feedback we get. You can check out the PING list as well


<AnssiK> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0015.html

anssik: have addressed last call comments and sent mail to list

<AnssiK> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/rev/685f81b473d3

fjh: I need to close LC issue for Tab
... need to think about bigger issues as well

anssi: doug turner is busy with release right now, also need implementations to back proposals

fjh: rick's latest on this - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Jan/0023.html

anssik: could extend API to deal with multiple sensors, had earlier discussion about adding identifier
... proximity event could include id to identify sensor, so can address use case with current spec
... not sure about changing for 'better design", issue of rework of code and prefer implementation experience
... do we want a spec that is implemented or one that is cleaner but not implemented

fjh: anssik, it would be helpful for you to respond to Rick

anssik: yes I will respond, e.g. can make it look better via javascript library, for example

Open Actions


<trackbot> ACTION-605 -- Anssi Kostiainen to update Ambient Light specification for LC-2737 , bringing queueing order update from Proximity to Ambient Light -- due 2013-01-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/605


<trackbot> ACTION-606 -- Anssi Kostiainen to update Proximity and Ambient Light to define events, per LC-2738 -- due 2013-01-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/606


<trackbot> ACTION-607 -- Anssi Kostiainen to update Ambient Light per LC-2737, bringing any questions to the list -- due 2013-01-16 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/607

close ACTION-605

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-605 Update Ambient Light specification for LC-2737 , bringing queueing order update from Proximity to Ambient Light.

close ACTION-606

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-606 Update Proximity and Ambient Light to define events, per LC-2738.

close ACTION-607

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-607 Update Ambient Light per LC-2737, bringing any questions to the list.

close ACTION-601

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-601 Prepare updated WD of HTML Media Capture in preparation for publication on 18 December (assuming WG agreement 12 Dec).


<trackbot> ACTION-592 -- Niklas Widell to provide draft sensors landscape document -- due 2012-11-09 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/592

nwidell: have created a draft but it is not finished
... cannot work more on this

fjh: is it possible to share what you have done

nwidell: will check

close ACTION-567

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-567 to provide proposed resolutions for HTML Media Capture last call comments, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Aug/0045.html.

fjh: if you believe an action should be closed, in general please move to Pending state

close ACTION-579

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-579 Add reference to clarify "implicit consent" in HTML Media Capture, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Sep/0122.html.

close ACTION-586

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-586 Review Battery tests.

<AnssiK> https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/586?

<AnssiK> s/https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/586?//

close ACTION-604

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-604 Request offers of hosting.

close ACTION-608

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-608 Update LC-2731 as completed.

close ACTION-609

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-609 Ask Rick to make proposal for change, summarizing use cases and benefits of change.

close ACTION-610

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-610 Contact Richt offline re network service discovery.

close ACTION-558

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-558 Draft a proposal for stills capture for gUM.

fjh: robin confirmed we can close this one

close ACTION-560

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-560 Coordinate with PF to figure out which DAP specs, if any, have accessibility dependencies.

fjh: robin noted that he established coordination with PF, but we should inform PF on upcoming LCs

Other Business


reminder - Anssi will reply to Rick, Cathy will consolidate and send message re Network Service Discovery, Richt will work on it as soon as he can, Frederick to follow up on F2f hosting and create questionnaire, Nicklas to check on sharing use cases both for network information and sensors, Frederick to work on closing Tab LC comment, Diana to check on hosting


Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $