Re: State of the Network Information API specification

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:
> ...It is up to the user agent to decide how the bandwidth is computed. It
> might indeed be hard to have a precise bandwidth for each domain the
> client is accessing but this is actually not the intent of the
> specification. The user agent should provide something that has enough
> precision to be usable (not 1 Mb/s precision for example) but it doesn't
> need to be very precise (like 1 kb/s precision)....

I'm new here, only learned about this spec last week so bear with me
if my suggestion makes no sense...

Could the bandwidth attribute be structured to include some optional
metadata to help clients decide how reliable it is? For example:

1MB/s ; source=networkType

400kB/s; source=measured

This would allow for future evolution of bandwidth measurements
(including adding more metadata), and clients can ignore everything
after the first semicolon if they don't care.

-Bertrand