Liaison statement from OMA on network efficiency

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:14:49 +0100
To: public-device-apis@w3.org, bs3131@att.com, "Frederick.Hirsch" <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>
Hi all,

We have received a liaison statement from OMA on a new acitivity they're
starting, called Device Apps Network Efficiency (DANE) — see attached
document.

The Device APIs Working Group is specifically called out as one of the
targets of the document.

They are asking a review from their proposed work, as well as a summary
of existing W3C work in this space.

My own reading of the liaison statement is that at the very least, our
work on the Network Information API has some relevance to that work (one
could imaging that browsers would use DANE to get information about e.g.
the available bandwidth).

We have also discussed several times (but without any concrete proposal
that I know of) providing more advanced capabilities to optimize Web
apps usage of network capabilities — it would be useful if someone could
summarize our existing discussions to date, esp. if they could be source
of requirements for that work.

Brian, I believe you're active in OMA, so if you have further input /
insight on useful input we could gather for OMA here, that would be
welcome.

Frederick, it's probably worth adding to the agenda of our next call
(Feb 6).

Thanks,