RE: [Network Service Discovery API] device type search

NaoyukiB.Sato@jp.sony.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > I am not sure I support cross-domain or more access to UPnP specific
stuff.

> I propose Network Service Discovery should allow the cross domain access
to the device description page and all network resource that is defined in
the device description page. The current implementation of Network Service
Discovery from Opera allows the cross domain access to the control url. this
will not enough for UPnP controller application.

> The reasons why I am proposing are
> - showing the device icon to the end user
> The normal UPnP application will show the end user UPnP device list w/ the
device icon and friendly name to select which UPnP device is controlled. The
device icon url and friendly name are specified in the device description
page. So, we need to access the device description page and the device icon
resource. Otherwise, the application may not provide the good UI to the end
user.

> - check what command is supported
> The normal UPnP application will check the service description page,
because the service description page has UPnP command list and the
application can know what option command UPnP device supports. The service
description page url  is specified in the device description page. So, we
need to access the device description page and the service description page
resource. Otherwise, the application may use only mandatory commands and
miss the chance to use the optional command.

> Thank you,
>
> Naoyuki Sato

I think those are very reasonable motivations for allowing the web app
access to additional resources on the UPnP devices in addition to the
control URL. Such information may not be important for the most simplistic
and targeted web apps, but are essential for the more complex or
general-purpose web apps to create a good user experience.

I'm also generally in favor of allowing additional search types instead of
just UPnP service type.

- Cathy.