[vibra] Clarifying introduction

From: Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:55:15 +0000
To: "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
Hi,

I've received feedback that the introduction section of the Vibration API [1] should be clarified a bit. Specifically, mentioning gaming as the [only] use case for the API was seen confusing. There's the Gamepad API in the works, and it is likely to require its own more fine-grained API for controlling multiple vibration motors, strength etc. We've touched this subject in the past [2], and decided we do not try to keep this API reusable.

Thus, to make this clearer, I propose we alter the introduction a bit.

Currently the introduction says:

[[

The API is designed to tackle use cases related to gaming, and is not meant to be used as a generic notification mechanism.

]]

I propose we change it to something like:

[[

The API is specifically designed to tackle use cases that require simple tactile feedback only. Use cases requiring more fine-grained control are out of scope for this specification. In addition, the API is not meant to be used as a generic notification mechanism.

]]

Feel free to suggest a better wording. I plan to update the spec if I don't hear any concerns.

-Anssi

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/vibration/#introduction
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Sep/0012.html