Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

14 Nov 2012


See also: IRC log


Frederick_Hirsch, Milan_Patel, Jungkee_Song, Girl_Mandyam, Anssi_Kostiainen
Josh_Soref, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux


<trackbot> Date: 14 November 2012

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

fjh: No call next week, next call on 28 November.
... no other announcements, apart from welcome to new participants http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Nov/0026.html

Minutes approval

fjh: F2F minutes to be published, anticipate will approve on 28 November.
... I sent Informal chair notes on F2F: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Nov/0020.html

Web Based Signage slides from F2F: http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/images/3/30/Tpac2012_signage_bg_discovered_by_personal_devices.pdf

Network Information API

fjh: Mounir updated the editors draft, http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/network-api/Overview.html


<trackbot> ACTION-590 -- Mounir Lamouri to prepare updated WD of network information with updated status, including addition of use cases -- due 2012-11-08 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/590

close ACTION-590

<trackbot> ACTION-590 Prepare updated WD of network information with updated status, including addition of use cases closed

fjh: I sent some comments to the list
... I think the test in example 3 may require a "not", http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Nov/0030.html

<AnssiK> +1 to publish an updated WD

fjh: I suggest we get this published as an updated WD, with the changes I proposed (assuming Mounir agrees). An improvement over what is in TR
... any objection to publishing updated WD?

RESOLUTION: publish updated WD of Network Information API using updated editors draft with changes proposed by Frederick, as agreed by Mounir

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to arrange publication of updated WD of Network Information API [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/14-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-594 - Arrange publication of updated WD of Network Information API [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2012-11-21].

fjh: no need for CfC for this, as we agreed at F2F this is necessary and it is an update of a WD

Proximity API

CfC to publish Last Call, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Nov/0002.html

fjh: agreement on the list add a text field for which sensor


fjh: concerns with this, seems to be agreement on list

anssik: note that CfC was for ambient light

fjh: my mistake in reading the draft minutes, we already agreed
... will publish in conjunction with ambient light
... concerns with adding field?

anssik: we should have some implementation experience, concern about arbitrary text field

fjh: anssi can you please comment on the list with the concern?

anssik: yes, will do. we should give this a bit of time

fjh: defer decision to publish until this is resolved, I note that CfC for publishing ambient light has completed (as of yesterday) with no objection
... so we can publish both once ready, i.e. when we have resolved this field discussion
... it would be good to get Last Call published before we hit the holiday period, perhaps we can resolve by 28 November.

anssik: are you proposing we publish both together?

fjh: yes, it is less work for team, less confusing for Last Call timing, etc

anssik: suggest we might not want to add the field, not to hold up

fjh: this is a generic problem - which sensor, which camera etc

anssik: problem in touch as well, which touch point
... might not be as simple as adding a string

fjh: not sure, this seems to warrant list discussion
... let's try to resolve this on the list so we can arrange publication of Last Call week of 28 Nov

HTML Media Capture Last Call Comments

fjh: I sent proposed changes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Nov/0024.html

anssik: looks good, will wait a few days for feedback then incorporate

fjh: would prefer to have changes in place to share with Doug
... and others

anssik: ok, will make the changes now so we can share updated editors draft showing changes in place

fjh: Thanks - will need to work through remaining comments, but I'd like to do this first as it may resolve others as well

Vibration API

fjh: much discussion on list, not sure where it leaves us

anssik: david bryant would like us to expose maximum duration of vibration time through API

fjh: debate of whether that is meaningful

anssik: correct, may wish to keep API simpler, avoid misuse
... golden rule of api design, minimize surface, not convinced that this is an issue with any implementations

fjh: how to bring this to closure?

anssik: asked David to experiment with implementations, to see if concerns are valid. He wrote code instead, showing how you can determine maximum length seeing when exception is thrown
... no high value use case for adding field

fjh: we will need explicit WG decision

anssik: yes, also need implementers view
... user configurable in firefox
... web developer should not know this information, typical in web, web developer does not have much detail on user agent
... limits may be UA dependent
... similar to requiring certain screen resolutions when browsing the web, a bad idea
... do not want web developers to design app with this in mind

fjh: sounds like two different use cases - one where it just vibrates, another with a time of vibration

anssik: should not put in API unless we really need it
... mozilla did not include, proving the point

fjh: suggest you send email to list suggesting we not add this, noting reasons discussed here.

anssik: will do this

Other F2F follow up

none today

Action Review


<trackbot> ACTION-593 -- Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux to build a survey for finding a week for DAP meeting March/April -- due 2012-11-09 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/593


<trackbot> ACTION-587 -- Anssi Kostiainen to prepare Proximity LC draft and run through pubrules -- due 2012-11-08 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/587

anssik: I should have this for the next call

fjh: please review the list at http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/open

Other Business


reminder, No call next week, next call on 28 November.


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to arrange publication of updated WD of Network Information API [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/11/14-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $