Re: [capture] keywords (was: Agenda)

From: Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:10:41 +0000
To: "Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com" <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>, "anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com" <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
CC: "nn.murthy@cmcltd.com" <nn.murthy@cmcltd.com>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>, "fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On 11/27/12 8:25 PM, "Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com"
<Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:

>Anssi
>
>> In line with this clarification, I renamed the generic term "A still
>>image capture device" to a specific term "A camera" in the "Capture
>>control type" column for the "camera" keyword.
>
>I think the change  removing 'still image capture device'  undoes what
>the working group agreed, which is that the camera key word can include
>scanners etc.
>
>I would suggest reverting the change , especially as it did reflect
>consensus
>
>I could suggest a minor change "A still image capture device, including
>cameras, scanners etc."

As previously mentioned[1], I'm confused about this. If the intention is
that the `camera` keyword embodies every possible still image capture
device
(and similarly for camcorder and microphone), then why don't we just have
a boolean that indicates whether live capture is preferred over filesystem
access, as fantasai suggested? E.g.:

    <input type=file accept="img/*" preferlivecapture>

Else, if we want to leave open the possibility of being more specific
later (e.g. front-facing camera, scanners, etc.) what will `camera` mean
then? For example, on a device with two cameras, (front and back) and a
scanner will `camera` mean all three? Any of the two cameras? Just the
main (back?) one? How would one refer to the main/back camera alone? Etc.

Thanks,

--tobie
---
[1]: