RE: [network-info] Added use cases and mentioning outstanding issues

From: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L <bs3131@ATT.COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:42:28 +0000
To: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>
> I meant that. The idea is that an application might want to aggressively cache when the user has a low bandwidth or a metered connection.

By "aggressively cache" I guess you mean e.g. that the app may use Local Storage or IndexedDB to more firmly hold onto assets? I was assuming the "aggression" was in using the high-BW/unmetered connection to pre-load content when available, another approach to the same thing I guess.

> The specification clearly requests user agents that can't figure out if the user has a metered connection to return 'false'.

Yes, and that was the point of my comment "Reporting a connection as unmetered when that's actually unknown (or unknowable in the current device), is IMO a bad idea." False means unmetered, right? So there should be a 3rd state for "unknown".

Bryan Sullivan