Re: [capture] keywords (was: Agenda)

From: Anssi Kostiainen <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:48:17 +0200
Cc: <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com>, <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: ext NN Murthy <nn.murthy@cmcltd.com>
On 21.11.2012, at 11.34, ext NN Murthy wrote:

> People associate some meaning to camera where as we mean that it is any
> device that can help in capturing a still image. If you want, you can use
> "scanner" or "ImageInputDevice" or any such generic name.

"Scanner" is a very specific term, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scanner

"ImageInputDevice" is not much of an improvement over "Still Image Capture Device": it is still hard to remember, too long, and case sensitive (or consists of multiple words concatenated together).

My point is, it is hard to come up with a generic term that works better than a term that is to the point most of the time. I'd argue a large majority of today's image capture on web-enabled devices happens via a camera, and not via a scanner or some other more niche image capture device (just look at the EXIF data stats of your favorite image hosting service). Given this, using "camera" as a keyword sounds reasonable to me at least.

Btw. historically, naming discussions such as this have not been very productive.