RE: [network-info] Added use cases and mentioning outstanding issues

From: SULLIVAN, BRYAN L <bs3131@att.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 21:20:20 +0000
To: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, "public-device-apis@w3.org" <public-device-apis@w3.org>

> As discussed at TPAC [1], I've updated the ED of the Network Information
> API to include a few use cases and the outstanding issues.

Re "Any app trying to aggressively cache any downloaded asset when the user has a low bandwidth or a metered connection", I think you mean " Any app trying to aggressively cache any downloaded asset when the user has a high bandwidth or a non-metered connection "

The "return non absolute values" idea seems to be a valuable compromise between privacy and the importance of this information.

I also agree that the metered flag should be retained, though I suggest it be not a Boolean but rather "yes", "no", or "unknown". Reporting a connection as unmetered when that's actually unknown (or unknowable in the current device), is IMO a bad idea.

Bryan Sullivan