Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

16 May 2012


See also: IRC log


Anssi_Kostiainen, Claes_Nilsson, Deepanshu_Gautam, Frederick_Hirsch, Glenn_Adams_(glenn), Josh_Soref, Jungkee_Song, MilanPatel, Milan_Patel, Rich_Tibbett
Dzung_Tran, Niklas_Widell, Marcos_Caceres, Bryan_Sullivan, Robin_Berjon


<trackbot> Date: 16 May 2012


fyi, WebIntents - Josh posted minutes from WebApps meeting that has interesting WebIntents content, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2012May/0034.html

Gallery Draft, reminder and request for comment, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012May/0069.html

<Jungkee> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-mediaont-10-20120209/#core-property-lists

jungkee: defining metadata and looking for comments on this

fjh: Milan has joined the group from Huawai

F2F scheduled for 10-12 July, in Burlington MA, US

Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 9 May


RESOLUTION: Minutes from 9 May 2012 are approved


Use cases, issues summary (wiki material?); http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012May/0146.html

device/user proposal http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012May/0186.html

draft http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/proximity/Overview.html

readonly attribute DOMString proximitystate;

<AnssiK> use cases for the proximitystate attribute: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012May/0201.html

anssiK; updated draft to reflect discussion on list, added proximitystate attribute with near/far to the draft

fjh: seems to be agreement on list to have near/far, not so clear about min/max. Are we reaching an agreement?

<AnssiK> direct link to the UCs: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012May/0103.html

anssiK: we have use cases for min/far to determine position at startup without waiting for event...
... are we designing around use cases, or already implemented features

fjh: looks like this draft will be stable based on use cases, seeking review.

anssi: the question is whether we're driven by use cases or not

<Josh_Soref> Josh_Soref: as a former Mozilla developer, code reuse isn't a big deal

HTML Media Capture

<Josh_Soref> ... it's pretty easy to expose different properties and share backend code

Draft (with revisions) http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012May/0182.html (Anssi)

anssiK: seeking feedback on the draft, have received feedback on the WebKit mailing list
... also feedback from Mozilla and Android developers
... have lots of implementer feedback, updated draft
... removed material that is not implemented by anyone
... eg mediafile, media data
... interfaces
... rewrote spec to reuse HTML5 terminology etc
... now simpler, looking for implementer feedback and review
... would like CfC to publish new working draft

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to create CfC to publish update WD of HTML Media Capture [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/16-dap-nearutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-538 - Create CfC to publish update WD of HTML Media Capture [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2012-05-23].

anssi: please review and continue discussion on mailing list


Time to consider split of Data formats from Search processing?

richt: Opera does not have an implementation of this, we should probably be checking with Mozilla who are implementing
... check with them on next steps

<AnssiK> Mozilla's Contacts API

richt: would prefer to not discuss formats at this time, as it can be devisive

fjh: sounds like we should continue to defer this for now

Other APIs

None to discuss today

Other Business

[ None ]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to create CfC to publish update WD of HTML Media Capture [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/05/16-dap-nearutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $