Media Access/Device Storage/Gallery API

From: Steve VanDeBogart <vandebo@google.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:22:25 -0700
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
Cc: Jungkee Song <jungkees@gmail.com>, Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>
Since there have now been two media access APIs posted here, I wanted to
point out the one I posted to the webapps group a few weeks ago:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012AprJun/0682.html
The API is at http://goo.gl/L8zXT

One big difference in this API is that it uses the FileSystem API.  In my
opinion, there are a couple advantage of this approach.  Using an existing
API makes it easier for web developers to pick up and integrate with the
rest of the web platform.  Also, the FileSystem API is fairly complete -
enumeration, addition, removal, etc in both async and sync flavors -
whereas a separate system would probably add all those pieces in the long
run.  And even though the FileSystem API is used, the backend for that API
in the media case could be anything, a directory (or set of directories), a
database, or even an extension that provides access to a user's online
media.

It'd be great to talk about bringing these APIs together.

--
Steve