From: "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com>
To: "BRYAN L SULLIVAN" <bs3131@att.com>
Cc: "Dzung D Tran" <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>, public-device-apis@w3.org
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 7:03:34 AM
Subject: Re: [sensors] the near/far event names

On 14/05/2012 14:48, SULLIVAN, BRYAN L wrote:
> I was echoing the use case pointed out by Dzung, ie the user is using a laptop, and the very close proximity assumptions of a mobile phone don't apply (unless you wanted to use the proximity sensor to know that a laptop has been closed). In the user proximity case the developer may want to know specifically how far the user is, if such is supported by sensors.
What problem is the developer wanting to solve by knowing the precise
distance from the user to the device (i.e., in terms of min, max, value
VS near/far)? With all due respect, the above is not a use case. A use
case would be something like "If the developer knows that the user is X
value away, then the developer can do the following things:". No one has
presented "the following things" yet, specially as they relate to "min,
max, value" VS "near/far" (apart to working out near/far!).

So, again, can you tell me what you (Bryan) would do with min, max,
value if you had access to it?