Re: [sensors] Device Proximity

On 11/05/12 16:13, Doug Turner wrote:
> I love this kind of input.  It is important to remember that
> fingerprinting is a concern.  However, I think that you might be
> better off discussing fingerprinting at the w3 privacy wg.
> Fingerprinting can be done on many APIs, not just these Device APIs.
> Do you have a concrete proposal to address these concerns across the
> main APIs, or are you just waving the fingerprinting flag as a
> reminder to us all?

We were discussing the pros and cons of {min, max, value} events versus
near and far events for proximity. Finger printing is just one of the
factors to take into account.

I would like to better understand the use cases.  Is it mostly about
sensing when a smart phone is against someone's ear?  I don't really
understand that for web apps though, unless you are using the web app as
an audio player or a P2P voice call over Web RTC. Another use case is
disabling the display or otherwise reducing battery demands when someone
isn't near the device. In this case, we are presumably talking about
sensing someone further away from the device. What am I missing about
the use cases for proximity and web apps?