Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

14 Mar 2012


See also: IRC log


Bryan_Sullivan, Cathy, Diana_Cheng, Dzung_Tran, Frederick_Hirsch, Josh_Soref, Rich_Tibbett, Robin_Berjon, SungOk_You, dom, glenn_(irc_only)
Claes_Nilsson, Travis_Leithead, Sylvain_lalande, Anssi_Kostiainen
Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch


<trackbot> Date: 14 March 2012

<scribe> Scribe: Josh_Soref


fjh: we have a bunch of new members
... I sent welcome messages
... we got one reply on list, and some off list
... we'll have some introductions at the F2F
... if anyone won't be at the F2F and wants to introduce themselves now, they can
... my apologies, for the delay in welcomes to some

<fjh> volunteers for FileAPI review? (Last Call , http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/ )

fjh: If there's anyone who can review the file api
... that would be helpful to webapps

darobin: I'd expect implementers to want to review this
... if they haven't already

<Zakim> Josh_Soref, you wanted to note that I'm going to try to review this week...

fjh: darobin: why don't you send a message to the list?

Josh_Soref: I'll try to review it this week

Minutes Approval

<fjh> Approve minutes from 7 March 2012

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Mar/att-0039/minutes-2012-03-07.html

RESOLUTION: Approve minutes from 7 March 2012


fjh: The host sent out a plea for people to confirm their status

<fjh> ** Registration necessary so hosts can prepare, even if from China ** : http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Mar/0064.html

fjh: they sent out a spreadsheet to attendees

<fjh> Updated draft agenda: http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/F2F_Agenda_20-22_March_2012,_Shenzhen,_China

fjh: if you didn't get it or your items are wrong, please get them corrected

<fjh> NFC wiki, http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/Near_field_communications_(NFC) - thanks dsr

<fjh> ACTION-505?

<trackbot> ACTION-505 -- Robin Berjon to check on attendees for Web Intents -- due 2012-02-22 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/505

fjh: darobin, I don't know what to do with that action
... did you get a chance to talk to them?

<darobin> ACTION-505?

<trackbot> ACTION-505 -- Robin Berjon to check on attendees for Web Intents -- due 2012-02-22 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/505

darobin: I believe I did that a couple of weeks ago

<fjh> ACTION-505 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-505 Check on attendees for Web Intents closed

darobin: I don't believe I heard anything back
... maybe there was a problem?

fjh: I think we have enough people registered
... it sounds like there were some surprises re: Video links

darobin: we won't have a video link
... we will have a phone link

<fjh> Daylight savings time inconsistency during F2F - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Feb/0077.html

darobin: as far as I understand, the WebIntents people who want to attend are in the spreadsheet

fjh: If you're planning to call in, please be aware of Daylight Saving Time confusion for the week

darobin: one good thing is that China only has one time zone

fjh: hopefully everyone who is going has their visas in place

Huawei Tour

darobin: for the last day, the hosts were planning to organize a visit to the Huawei facilities around 4pm
... from what I've been told, it's really huge and quite interesting

fjh: I think they need an idea of how much interest there is

<Zakim> Josh_Soref, you wanted to note that I'm interested

Josh_Soref: I'm interested in it

Sensor API and DeviceOrientation

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Mar/0043.html (Dzung Tran)

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Mar/0053.html

fjh: there's been a lot of discussion on the list
... I think it's still ongoing
... I'm behind on my reading
... if someone is current and can summarize

dtran: I checked in edits for the latest round of comments on the spec
... there's some concerns about DeviceOrientation relating to the GeoLocation WG API
... so either we feed that information back to the GeoLocation WG
... or we leave it in our API
... I think there's some comment on getting the requirement to the GeoLocation WG

fjh: you did the edits of all the agreeable stuff
... you removed the duplicated bits
... and the list has requirements which could/should be shared to the GeoLocation WG
... but that hasn't been done yet

dtran: right

fjh: who has an action to do that?

dtran: either bryan or myself

fjh: there must have been an action

<fjh> note - check who has action to contact geolocation, bryan or dzung tran

fjh: I'll make a note to look into that

Network API update

fjh: that was something we didn't talk about last time

<fjh> WebKit, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Feb/0064.html (Gyuyoung Kim)

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Feb/0076.html (Mounir)

<fjh> Actions: ACTION-411?, ACTION-474?, ACTION-476?

fjh: I don't think we had the right people on the call
... for those not on that call

<fjh> ACTION-411?

<trackbot> ACTION-411 -- Robin Berjon to reply to Jo about NetInfo -- due 2011-06-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/411

fjh: there's stuff going into webkit

<fjh> ACTION-474?

<trackbot> ACTION-474 -- Adrian Bateman to make a proposal for Network Information API -- due 2011-11-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/474

<darobin> close ACTION-411

<trackbot> ACTION-411 Reply to Jo about NetInfo closed

fjh: darobin: some of these actions are ancient

<fjh> ACTION-476?

<trackbot> ACTION-476 -- Robin Berjon to aCTION sicking to propose a new Network Info -- due 2011-11-11 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/476

fjh: I closed out some of them
... darobin : you had two here that I think can be closed

<darobin> close ACTION-476

<trackbot> ACTION-476 ACTION sicking to propose a new Network Info closed

darobin: right, ACTION-411 can be closed
... it's overtaken by events

fjh: there's one to Adrian

darobin: I think we should leave that open
... when we gave him the action, he had specific feedback from developers on microsoft's platform
... I think the action on adrian was really on travis, who wasn't targetable

<Zakim> Josh_Soref, you wanted to ask if my action was closed?

Josh_Soref: fjh, don't forget to close my action

<fjh> ACTION-475 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-475 Propose a new Network Info closed

Battery, Vibration CR

<fjh> All LC issues formally closed.

<fjh> https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-battery-status-20111129/doc/

<fjh> https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-vibration-20120202/doc/

darobin: I'll look into scheduling the transition call for CR

Network Service Discovery

fjh: there was an email about advertising

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Mar/0052.html

fjh: I don't think we have people on the call with dsr who can talk about that

Other API discussion

fjh: richt, I don't know what you've been doing

richt: we have some stuff but it isn't formally submitted
... we've been hijacking the mailing list
... I'd like to have other browsers on board before proposing it

fjh: so we'll just let the discussion go

richt: I think so
... it's a hacking mentality right now
... and we'll see if we get interest from other vendors

fjh: did you have anything else to discuss?

darobin: no

[ Adjourned ]

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $