Re: addEventListener and side effects (was: CfC to change Sensor approach, not progress current draft)

On Mar 22, 2012, at 9:43 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> Le jeudi 22 mars 2012 à 09:36 -0700, Doug Turner a écrit :
>>>
>>> It's simpler, but not that much simpler. One reason I took the approach
>>> I mentioned is that some proximity sensors only report a boolean state
>>> (near/far); without a notion of accuracy, I don't know how your proposal
>>> addresses this.
>>
>> yes, but it is simpler and follows a known pattern.
>
> So does my proposal (it's modeled on the battery API).

The battery API isn't shipping everywhere.  Device orientation (and soon device motion) is shipping in Firefox, Opera, and Chrome.

> (if in fact activation-on-addEventListener is OK, I'll update
> http://scriptlib-cg.github.com/api-design-cookbook/ to reflect this)

Sure.  It is what Device Motion and Orientation is doing.  Why would it now be bad for other APIs to do this?  Lets strive for consistency.