Re: RE: Use cases for NFC API

Hi,all
Based on the ongoing discuss and the NFC terminal technical specification of my company, my suggestions for the current collection NFC user cases are as follows:

1, In order to ensure complete coverage of the needs of users as much as possible, I suggest that we should determine the operating modes at first, then we can further improve the user cases In the different modes. In my opinion, there are three main operating modes: Card emulation mode, that means the terminal can be simulated as an ordinary non-contact card; Reader mode, that means the terminal can read the other NFC tags as a reader; Peer to peer mode,that means the terminal can communicate with another NFC devices in point-to-point mode. Here are some examples in the different modes for reference as below:
1)       Card emulation mode:
E-key (as Bryan Sullivan has mentioned),
E-ticket (Bob wants to see a movie. Then he goes to the cinema. The ticket office of the cinema has an NFC terminal at which customers can pay for the tickets and the tickets can be transferred to customers’ phones. Bob has a “My E-tickets” Webapp which buys and manages his tickets. Then Bob use this Webapp to buy the ticket and collect the ticket from the NFC terminal. Later, Bob uses “My E-tickets” Webapp to enter the cinema and watch the movie.)
mobile payment (as Dave Raggett, Tran, Dzung D have mentioned)

2)       Reader mode:
E-posters (Bob is shopping in a big supermarket. Then he found a poster about the new movies which has a NFC tag. Bob has a “My tag Reader” Webapp which deal with the NFC tags. Bob used this Webapp to read the NFC tag and got a link,then the Webapp visited the link and shows more information about the new movie such as Synopsis, fare and so on.)
information collection(as Bryan Sullivan, Dave Raggett, Tran, Dzung D have mentioned)

3)       Peer to peer mode:
data exchange (as Dave Raggett, Tran, Dzung D have mentioned),
business card exchange( Bob participated in the W3C DAP meeting. Bob discussed a question with Tom. At last Bob and Tom decided to continue the discussion after the meeting. Then Bob and Tom wanted to exchange their business cards. Bob and Tom both had the Webapp named “business cards exchange” and saved their business card in their Webapps.  Then Bob taped his smart phone against Tom's to instantly gain Tom’s business card, at the same time , Tom got Bob’s.)
peer-to-peer control (as Dave Raggett, Tran, Dzung D have mentioned)
peer-to-peer game (as Tran, Dzung D has mentioned)

2,Besides these normal NFC user cases, I suggest that we should consider the special user cases. Here are some examples for reference as below:

1)       The operating modes should be changed automatically. e.g. Bob and Tom meet in the theater. Tom gave Bob a ticket by peer-to-peer mode. Then Bob used the ticket by the Card emulation mode.

2)       services concurrency. e.g. Bob is on the Phone by using a headset; At the same time, he is using the Webapp to buy a ticket and collect the ticket from the NFC terminal.

I believe that there are many other special user cases that I do not mention, so I hope you could add more. Thanks a lot.

2012-03-16

 CHINA UNICOM RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Terminal Research and Support Centre
Chengyan Zhang