Re: [Vibration API] Confusing list indexing in spec

Hi Justin, All,

On 20.6.2012, at 16.57, ext Justin Lebar wrote:

> This look a lot better!  Some more nits:
>
> * "6. If the hidden attribute [PAGE-VISIBILITY] is set to true, abort
> these steps. An implementation may abort the algorithm at this point."
>
> It seems to me that this is actually two steps.

Yes indeed, that's how it was supposed to be. I split this into two steps as follows (+ a note associated with the step 7):

[[

6. If the hidden attribute [PAGE-VISIBILITY] is set to true, abort these steps.

7. An implementation may abort the algorithm at this point.

Note

For example, an implementation might abort the algorithm because the user has set a preference indicating that pages at a given origin should never be able to vibrate the device, or an implementation might cap the total amount of time a page may cause the device to vibrate and reject requests in excess of this limit.

]]

> * "When the visibilitychange event [PAGE-VISIBILITY] is dispatched at
> the Document in a browsing context, the user agent must cancel the
> vibration."
>
> This still isn't particularly precise.  As I read it, whenever any
> document gets a visibilitychange event, we must cancel...something.
> It's not "the pre-existing instance of the processing vibration
> patterns algorithm, if any", like in step 7.

I changed this to a more precise form:

[[

When the visibilitychange event [PAGE-VISIBILITY] is dispatched at the Document in a browsing context, the user agent must cancel the pre-existing instance of the processing vibration patterns algorithm, if any.

]]

An updated Editor's Draft with the above changes is at its usual location:

  http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/vibration/

Diff:

  http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/dap/vibration/Overview.html.diff?r1=1.26;r2=1.27;f=h

Thanks!