Re: [html media capture] proposed (new) resolution of your HTML Media Capture Last Call Comment (Please respond)

From: Anssi Kostiainen <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:14:54 +0200
Cc: <public-device-apis@w3.org>, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>
To: ext fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Hi fantasai,

On 11.12.2012, at 2.14, ext fantasai wrote:

> On 12/10/2012 06:18 AM, Anssi Kostiainen wrote:
>>
>> Does "directly" help here?
>
> Not much, no.
>
>> Let me know what would be the preferred language. Technically speaking,
>> the media captured is not "live".
>
> Fair enough, but the intention is to capture it directly from the
> device's environment, rather than directly from its memory. Right?

Borrowing your language, does this make the prose clearer (also updated in the [ED]):

[[

The capture attribute is a boolean attribute that, if specified, indicates that the capture of media directly from the device's environment using a media capture mechanism is preferred.

]]

>>> Lastly, I wanted to check that, if you plan to extend the 'capture'
>>> attribute in the future to determine which of multiple appropriate
>>> devices to use (e.g. switching it to an enumeration), is the WebIDL
>>> for it able to accommodate such an extension? Or does the type need
>>> to be DOMString instead?
>>
>> I think we do not have such extension plans at this time.
>
> Indeed. But were you to have such a plan in the future (which, from
> the discussions here, seems possible), would adopting the current
> WebIDL prevent such an extension?

If we'd make the capture attribute an enumerated attribute in the future, I think, we could define the missing value default state to map to the state that is defined by the current version of the spec.

Thanks!

-Anssi

[ED]  http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/

[diff] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/dap/camera/Overview.html.diff?r1=1.142;r2=1.143;f=h