Re: Next step for DAP Ambient Light Events

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 02:55:24 +0100
To: Doug Turner <dougt@mozilla.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, public-device-apis@w3.org, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Dzung D Tran <dzung.d.tran@intel.com>

On Monday, 27 August 2012 at 22:00, Doug Turner wrote:

> I am getting different results on the Galaxy Nexus (ICS). Close to double what Tab saw.
> ~380 LUX in the office type lighting.
> ~28000 LUX in very bright light.

The following paper by Microsoft might be useful (page 13 contains a table of how Lux values map to different lighting conditions):

Though I don't think the paper above cites any sources. I also had little luck in google scholar trying to find a scientific study (though I might just have been looking for the wrong terms)… other sources that present similar tables I found:

The wikipedia article actually cites sources, but I've not checked their validity in any detail.
Hope that helps!