Re: [media-queries] and Ambient Light Sensor API

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:31:27 -0700
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, dougt@mozilla.com
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Daniel Glazman
> Hello Doug, public-device-apis@w3.org and www-style@w3.org
>
> Looking at the WD of Ambient Light Sensor API [1] on one hand and at
> the IDPF Alternate Style Tags spec for EPUB3 by Fantasai (in particular
> the 'day' and 'night' values) [2] on the other, I really wonder if that
> API should not have its Media Queries [3] counterpart...
>
> For instance:
>
> feature  'ambient-light-sensor'
> Value: <integer>
> Applies to: visual media types
> Accepts min/max prefixes: no
>
>   Value will be 1 if an ambient light sensor is available on the device
>   and 0 if not.
>
> feature 'ambient-light-level'
> Value: <number>
> Applies to: visual media types
> Accepts min/max prefixes: YES
>
>   This media feature describes the ambient light level in lux. The
>   specified <number> cannot be negative.

I'd rather define a 'lux' unit if we're doing this.  Also, I agree
with others that having some keyword values is useful.  I don't know
how many levels would actually be useful, though.  ePub apparently
does "night" and "day".  We can either use those, or define a
different pair, like 'dim' and 'bright'.

I'd prefer we not introduce a half-dozen or more keywords without
evidence that they're useful.  I think most of the time you'll only
want to reduce the brightness of your page in dim light, but not do a
lot of gradations.

~TJ