Re: addEventListener and side-effects

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:24:31 +0200
To: "James Graham" <jgraham@opera.com>, "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org, public-device-apis@w3.org
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:10:19 +0200, Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com> wrote:
> Right, but part of the question is whether triggering an event upon
> registration is indeed a side-effect. Presumably, there is necessarily
> an effect of event registration (certainly for this type of event),

Why would there be an effect? That is not at all the conceptual model.

> which causes some code to be initialised with a specific intent
> (dispatching events to a given window about orientation sensors or the
> level of a battery).

That is the whole thing we are arguing against. Events are dispatched.
They can be listened for using event listeners. They should not be
dispatched when adding event listeners.

> It's very much unclear to me what is possibly wrong with such a piece of
> code deciding that when it gets initialised, it dispatches an event.
> That's probably the point that I'm missing.

There is no event initialization happening when you register a listener.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/