Re: Mozilla's WebAPI project

Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le mardi 23 août 2011 à 13:43 +0200, Dominique Hazael-Massieux a écrit :
>> Mozilla has announced their interest in developing APIs to make the most
>> of phone's features in HTML5:
>> http://hacks.mozilla.org/2011/08/introducing-webapi/
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI
>>
>> There is a lot of overlap with some of the APIs we've been working on,
>> and the blog post says they want to bring some of the result of their
>> work to W3C for standardization.
>
> FWIW, Jonas Sicking indicates on the Web RTC list that he's writing up
> his thoughts on standardization in another blog post:
>          I'm working on a more detailed blog post which mentions our
>          standardization strategy. The short story is that we absolutely
>          want
>          all of these APIs to be standardized. Our plan is to bring the
>          APIs to W3C once we've experimented enough with them to feel
>          good about them. Which group this ends up in depends on the API.
>   http://www.w3.org/mid/CA+c2ei83_53=3GEyf+FYF827dNCd+Tg3O-jKdS0H_
> +8=JiF2NA@mail.gmail.com

Jonas's follow-up blog post can be found here:

http://hacks.mozilla.org/2011/08/more-details-about-the-webapi-effort/

"The approach we’re planning on taking is to do both high-level and
low-level APIs, as well as give people the proper incentives to use the
one that is best for the user. But a very important point is to provide
low-level APIs early to ensure that Mozilla isn’t on the critical path
for innovation. Over time, we can add high-level APIs where that makes
sense."

I think that ties in to the discussion Frederick started recently on our
W3C Device APIs list:

"[Architecture] Device APIs: Javascript vs HTTP/REST client API
interfaces - comment/feedback?"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Sep/0014.html

More than two browser vendors suggesting similar approaches seems to
imply it might be worth pursuing low-level APIs until we can settle on
the high-level abstractions as and when they make sense.

- Rich