Re: Discovery API proposals: call for comments

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:22:27 +0200, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> Woudn't CORS be applicable here?
CORS is applicable and cover some use cases (we even mention it in our
draft I believe). Does not address support for legacy devices though.

I think the thread-off we propose is good: if you want to support legacy
devices, you need some support from the user agent to workaround same
origin restrictions.

For those devices that support CORS, the only thing left to be handled by
the user agent is discovery (that for old UA may be implemented with a
plugin)

Not that in some use cases the same origin restriction is not even an
issue;
e.g. we have seen some demos during the last workshop where the
"application" was running in a web server on the device (the
presentationURL of UPnP).
In that case you will be able to talk to the application from your PC
without problem. You still need discovery to find that URL though

/g

--
Giuseppe Pascale
TV & Connected Devices