Re: network neutrality and speech codecs

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM,  <Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com> wrote:

>... the chairs do have a responsibility to keep the WG moving forward and not
> revisiting previously decided matters, or items that are out of scope.

I have never consented to the chairs' unsubstantiated claim that the
matter has been decided or is out of scope. It is an important issue
on which the Director has been vocal, and I see no professional
responsibility or engineering merit in failing to follow his lead on
these issues.  Do the chairs think it is responsible to turn their
back on helping users and application authors confirm network service
levels and standards?

> is there any new technical information here to discuss?

Yes, I propose that the Device API and Policy Working Group endorse
the FCC's Order at
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1223/FCC-10-201A1.pdf
including the technical specifications in Part III.

Moreover, my proposal to support FLAC as well as Speex in Media Capture is new.

I repeat my request that the chairs poll the membership on
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2010Sep/0088.html
but because of the corporate sensitivity inherent in this request, I
am now asking for a secret ballot on the topic.

Sincerely,
James Salsman