RE: Sensor API

Hello Claes,

Thanks for your comments.  Here are some of my thoughts (Jose might have his own opinions :)):

·         I think that a generic sensor API must support not only "in-device" sensors but remote sensors as well. At least locally connected (USB, Bluetooth, ANT+ etc) sensor should be supported. A common example is heart rate sensors but there are also other sports and health related sensors as well as other types of external sensors. The Webinos proposal supports remote sensors through the Webinos service discovery API but it would also be possible to create of version of the sensors API that supports a "stand-alone" sensor discovery feature. Which is your view on this?

>From the API  level does it matter the underneath discovery mechanism or if it is in-device verse USB connected. For instance, a USB connected heartrate monitor would be:
        var sensorConnection = new SensorConnection('sensor:HeartRateSensor');

As for networked connected services, I will comment on that in the other email thread.

·         What happens in your proposal if there is some error when listening to a sensor? In the Webinos proposal there is an "accuracy" attribute in the sensor event stating the accuracy and reliability of the sensor data.

I used to have this in my version until we merged with Jose's version. It is the accuracy attribute as:
       <dt>readonly attribute int accuracy</dt>
       <dd>
              <ul>
<li>SENSOR_STATUS_ACCURACY_HIGH - This sensor is reporting data with maximum accuracy</li>
              <li>SENSOR_STATUS_ACCURACY_MEDIUM - This sensor is reporting data with average accuracy, calibration with the environment may improve readings</li>
              <li>SENSOR_STATUS_ACCURACY_LOW - This sensor is reporting data with low level of accuracy, calibration with the environment is needed</li>
              <li>SENSOR_STATUS_ACCURACY_UNRELIABLE - This sensor is reporting data that can't be trusted, calibration is needed or the environment doesn't allow readings</li>
              </ul>
       </dd>
       <dt>readonly attribute long timestamp</dt>
       <dd>
The time in nanosecond at which the sensor data was read
       </dd>

·         The Webinos sensor object contains metadata about the discovered sensor such as range, delay, power consumption, vendor etc. In your proposal there is no such sensor meta data. I think that there are use cases for using this meta data, for example tailoring a web application to a specific sensor from a specific vendor. Your view?

I noticed these types of metadata in the Android's Sensor API also. I didn't see any good use cases for these info, so I left it out.

Thanks
Tran,

[...]

Best regards
  Claes