Re: Battery Status API Last Call Feedback

From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:45:22 +0100
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
> Should there be some kind of privacy section? I guess you cannot tell
> much from someone charging his phone, but maybe in conjunction with
> other data you can find patterns of some kind. Fingerprinting is
> probably also somewhat aided by this functionality.

With the current state of the spec, the only privacy issue is quite
minor: a website can know if you are currently running in battery mode
which means not plugged. The only usage I can imagine of that
information is a website trying to suck your power out. Even, such
website can exist today and the only new information given is whether it
is worth trying or not.

About fingerprinting, there is currently no way to fingerprint a user
with this feature because having no battery is going to be perceived as
being plugged. Being on AC or on battery doesn't seem a sensitive
information regarding fingerprinting given that being on battery is by
definition a temporary state. However, coupling with a tracking system,
it might help knowing if a user "might" have a battery. I don't know if
that is very useful though.

--
Mounir