Proposal for ambient light

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:10:38 +0100
To: public-device-apis@w3.org
Hi,

During our TPAC F2F, I took an action item (ACTION-467) to make a
concrete proposal for accessing information about the current ambient
light for a given device.

Part of the discussion during TPAC was that particular item might be
better served by a CSS media query feature rather than an JavaScript API
— at least, the use cases that involved adapting e.g. the colors of the
user interface would be more logically served via such an approach.

This would mean adding a "ambientlight" feature with min/max prefixes,
that would take values in SI lux units.

        <link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="default.css">
        <link rel="stylesheet" media="screen and (min-ambientlight:
        30000)" href="high-contrast.css">

If the group thinks that's a reasonable approach, DAP could propose to
start a joint WD with the CSS WG.