Re: addEventListener with side effects

From: Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:36:14 +0100
Cc: public-device-apis <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
On Nov 16, 2011, at 11:32 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> During that discussion, it was argued that a callback pattern would
> probably have been a better approach for DeviceOrientation due to the
> need of powering hardware and getting first event upon registration
> Robin, maybe something to document in the API cookbook after further
> discussion with Geo/Hixie/Anne ?

Yes, that sounds like a good idea, especially since there is already a section in the document discussing related matters. And you know what's just *great* about the fact that we're using GitHub? I can easily accept pull requests! :)

> To work around this potential mis-design, specific wording was added to
> the DeviceOrientation spec: "Implementations may fire the event if they
> have reason to believe the page does not have sufficiently fresh data"

It may just be me but that really smells like weasel wording. Maybe this is LC feedback fodder?

Robin Berjon
  robineko  hired gun, higher standards