Re: Shelving "The System Information API"

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 11:40:06 +0100
Cc: DAP <public-device-apis@w3.org>
To: JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA <jmcf@tid.es>
On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:22 , JOSE MANUEL CANTERA FONSECA wrote:
> I still believe that having a generic mechanism for getting access to
> device properties is useful and better than specific APIs, one for each
> aspect.

But isn't that for the most part covered by the Sensors API? What parts of SysInfo are not covered by either specific APIs or the generic one  that's what I'm asking.

> In essence the problem here is the same as in the other APIs you want to
> discontinue: it has to be made clear that the API you are discontinuing
> can also be a viable and useful approach. The only thing is that DAP has
> decided to follow a different path. But does not mean that other options
> are not valid.

I understand that, and will draft a text that I hope will satisfy your concerns. But the case of SysInfo is different: its functionality seems to have been taken over by other documents completely, with one of those having a rather comparable design.