Re: [vibra] Vibration API -- the first stab

From: Anssi Kostiainen <anssi.kostiainen@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 11:59:48 -0700
To: "public-device-apis@w3.org WG" <public-device-apis@w3.org>, public-device-status@w3.org, ext Deepanshu gautam <deepanshu.gautam@huawei.com>
Hi All,

On 28.10.2011, at 19.29, ext Deepanshu gautam wrote:

> Have you thought about having an option to control the Intensity (low, Medium, High) of the vibration?
> It would be useful for many applications like evolving-alarm, games etc.
>

> void vibrate()
> optional double? pattern
> 	Vibration duration in milliseconds
> Option string intLevel
> 	Intensity level for the vibration
>

> navigator.vibration.vibrate([2000], H);
> or even....
> navigator.vibration.vibrate([{1000, L}, {500}, {2000, M}, {300}, {3000,H}])

Yes, I've thought this a bit. Some questions to all:

* First, does someone have concerns with adding support for intensity (API design details aside) to the spec?

* Type of double scaled from 0 to 1.0 or type of DOMString low|medium|high or something else? I'd like to note that implementations should obey the platform level vibration intensity setting. For example, when a "meeting" or similar profile is selected, the device is typically set to vibrate only slightly, and in such a case 1.0 or "high" would represent the maximum platform capped (e.g. profile setting) intensity.

* Is everyone fine with overloading vibrate() with intensity, or should we carve this functionality out into its own method?

Deepanshu - Thanks for the proposal!