Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

11 May 2011


See also: IRC log


Sung-Ok_You, Anssi_Kostiainen, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Suresh_Chitturi, Cecile_Marc, Niklas_Widell, Cathy_Chan


<trackbot> Date: 11 May 2011

<darobin> trackbot: prepare meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Device APIs and Policy Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 11 May 2011

<darobin> Chair: Robin Berjon

<scribe> ScribeNick: AnssiK



darobin: about f2f logistics

<darobin> registration

darobin: the reg form should be filled in by everyone, 4 replies so far

<darobin> ACTION: Robin to send out a reminder to register for f2f [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/05/11-dap-irc]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-393 - Send out a reminder to register for f2f [on Robin Berjon - due 2011-05-18].


darobin: announcements: 1) Battery Status Event FPWD published


darobin: 2) PhoneGap has implemented the Capture API
... feel free to comment at will
... moratorium until May 24, so no publishing for couple of weeks

Minutes approval

<darobin> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Apr/att-0106/minutes-2011-04-20.html

RESOLUTION: Minutes 20 April 2011 approved

Network Connection

darobin: I made quite many updates to the doc
... but did not commit them to the CVS
... and killed the laptop, will fetch them from a backup and commit but it'll take some time due to unfortunate events

Suresh: I have not yet done edits
... so that we don't need to resolve CVS conflicts manually

nwidell: about the SSID
... there's a one use case for SSID: find if you're on your home network

<dom> (you could detect that by making an HTTP request to your home server?)

darobin: as dom notes, an HTTP request should do

nwidell: we had the same use case for a JSR a few years ago
... but dom's proposal solved this

darobin: there are privacy issues in exposing SSID, would need user's explicit concent, makes UX cumbersome
... another thing is that SSID may leak too much info, such as that you are at a specific airport

nwidell: ok, I'm fine as it stands

darobin: the issue is documented in the draft

HTML Media Capture

dom: we started a thread with the HTML WG
... how to move forward with the capture attribute to see if any type of hint is useful
... no consensus yet


<darobin> feedback

darobin: a number of feedback items from Mohamed
... anyone planning to bake these in the spec?

Suresh: if richt is not planning to edit, I will
... I can take a look at the comments and work on them

darobin: many of the comments are editorial in nature
... should not be a huge issue to address them
... helpful editorial comments, overall
... it would be good if you could take the ball on this so that richt can focus on Contacts

Other APIs

darobin: any other API topics?

Action and Issue review

<darobin> ACTION-352?

<trackbot> ACTION-352 -- Robin Berjon to find out where <device> went -- due 2011-03-22 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/352

<darobin> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/video-conferencing-and-peer-to-peer-communication.html -> getUserMedia

darobin: in the latest WHATWG draft there's getUserMedia()
... which essentially replaces <device> element
... it is a rather interesting thing to look at to contract against the Capture API

<darobin> close ACTION-352

<trackbot> ACTION-352 Find out where <device> went closed

<darobin> close ACTION-354?

<darobin> ACTION-354?

<trackbot> ACTION-354 -- Dominique Hazaƫl-Massieux to look for a new place for hosting ReSpec Issues -- due 2011-05-04 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/354

<darobin> close ACTION-354

<trackbot> ACTION-354 Look for a new place for hosting ReSpec Issues closed

<darobin> respec trac instance

darobin: for those who are interested, ReSpec.js now has a Trac instance
... there's an issue tracker and all the other usual Trac provided infra available
... end of agenda, anything else?
... thanks for attending, everyone!

<nwidell> bye

darobin: don't forget to register for f2f!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Robin to send out a reminder to register for f2f [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/05/11-dap-irc]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2009-03-02 03:52:20 $