Re: DAP rechartering discussion

Hi Giuseppe,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:11:54 -0000, Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:32:09 +0100, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Matt, Olivier,
>>
>> The Universal Remote protocol looks great. At what level, though, would
>> you expect there to be a need for standardization ?
>>
>> I can presumably implement both client and server side of the protocol
>> using HTML/CSS/Javascript (if I can't then there's a need for
>> standardization right away), so what would remain would be
>> device/application discovery and the initial security aspects.
>>
>> i.e. how does the Universal Remote client discover that there is a
>> nearby TV supporting the Universal Remote server application (or
>> capable of supporting it) and ask the TV to launch that application (or
>> kick off installation) ?
>>
> This would fit nicely in the "home networking" discussion we started in
> Berlin and presumably we will continue to discuss here soon.
>
> @Matt, Oliver
> Honestly, I haven't had time to look into your work yet.
> How do you think it would fit into a more generic work around "home
> networking API", that is devices discovery and control inside the home
> network (UPnP-like)?
>
> /g

I think there is a lot of potentially useful overlap. It would be useful
if there were common mechanisms for discovery and simple security (e.g.
establishing pairing relationships) directly between devices.
Standardisation of this at both the protocol level and as higher level
device APIs would be really useful.

We already tried in our API to address these. Perhaps there are parts that
could be taken independently of this particular application and reused for
others. I'm specifically thinking of our pairing code mechanism here.

At the same time, our spec doesn't try to specify additional browser
features to support zeroconf/bonjour or UPnP discovery mechansisms. The
lack of these is something that could be rectified.

Matt