Re: Messaging API proposal

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:28:18 +0100
To: Rich Tibbett <richt@opera.com>
Cc: public-device-apis@w3.org
> wonder if we need an API in the first place though since sms URIs
> provide all of the functionality required for SMS

True, this messaging API wouldn't provide much for SMS

>  and mmsto URIs provide
> all of the functionality required for MMS, minus attachments

There is also email, fwiw.

> I'd really like to see a rough Internet Draft around adding attachments
> to the mmsto URI scheme. Effectively, mmsto URIs could act in a similar
> way to HTTP requests: the existing mmsto URI scheme could be enhanced to
> make mmsto URIs accept attachments as POSTed multi-part message contents
> of a request.

WhileI can see the theoretical appeal of such an approach, "POST" really
only has meaning with HTTP and HTTPs, not for other URI schemes. We
could explain how to pretend POST had a meaning for other schemes e.g.
within an XMLHttpRequest extension (which is what I alluded to in [1]),
but I very much doubt that defining what POST means for mmsto: or
mailto: would be acceptable within an Internet Draft.

> Defining HTTP-like Device URI schemes for different features might also
> present some novel and really interesting/compatible ways to interact
> with the device.

(I'll leave that for another thread so as not to lose the focus of this
one of the messaging API)

Dom

1.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Jan/0104.html