Re: Coordination on Address interfaces

From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:17:31 -0400
Cc: Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>, public-geolocation@w3.org, public-device-apis@w3.org
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
The design is motivated by the necessity to have addresses that can be validated for emergency (911) dispatch. Structured data makes that a whole lot easier than a bunch of strings. Whether that's needed here is a different question. Assuming NG911 takes off, the address format will be widely available to consumer devices (just like E911 made GPS coordinates available on mobile devices), so supporting it may not hurt.